Saturday, January 3, 2009

transition

Synaesthesia describes one sense stimulating another, and in my mind, how they get mixed up; how inhaling the lingering warmth of a pillow recalls the sun's texture long after it's sunk for the day.

I thought for a long time about how to make this transition, mostly about what I wanted to do with my old entries. My instinct was to import my Livejournal, begun in April 2004, to a new site. But after settling on this name and URL, I looked at the fresh, empty pages and thought maybe it would be better, and easier, to move on.

But I've never been built to forget, or to compartmentalize. So since there is no easy way to import my old journal to blogspot, I copied and pasted every old entry into this new blog (I did find a program that purported to import, but as computer illiterate as I am, figuring this out would take as long as my way). With each entry, I had to change the date to reflect when I wrote it, and after posting thirty odd entries, blogspot made me word-verify each entry (and some of those are so hard to read, I feel like I'm taking a test). I'm uselessly adaptive when it comes to doing monotonous tasks for extended periods of time, so that I can finish something I've set my mind to, even though it could be done more efficiently. Though the day, month and year of these past entries are accurate, the hour and minute reflect the time I recently posted them. So I traversed 4 and a half years in an hour and a half, as you can see by the 2:53 AM posting of the first entry, and the 4:25 AM posting of the one before this. I'm up this late because I was compelled to be, and because there is finally nowhere to go tomorrow.

I left everything as it was. Kept the silly beginning posts, when I wrote often and about nothing at all; the less frequent, longer posts that were also nothings, just more; the painful ones where I was at my worst and the ones with memories past. Still, I am making the change to another place to store these things. Things changed in the switch. The pictures that disappeared after I graduated college, leaving behind the storage space they gave us, now appear as little boxes. Font and color and width are different. To preserve certain things, I had to change format. For a long time I had an entry title, then a photograph, then a titled link that you clicked to see the actual entry. I can't do the titled link thing here, so sometimes I put whatever words were in the link in parentheses after the entry. If I felt it was important; I didn't do this for all of them. Didn't think that was straying too much from the original, since in any case I had to change what the original looked/felt like. This probably makes no sense unless you've seen my old entries on Livejournal (which are still there, where they started). Couldn't transfer comments from the few & faithful; those stay on LJ as well.

I got pretty proficient at copying and pasting, even after word verification was required for each entry, so the old words flew by me. But having to type out each title, write in the date, and scroll through to highlight made for a re-experience. Even though everything is felt differently, slightly or by a whole lot, it's still very much there.

A very good friend told me on New Year's Eve that she reads life too symbolically, that she takes everything as a sign to apply to her life. She thought it was a bad thing, to let the outside and inanimate influence how she feels, but I think in the end these things come from us. A couple weeks before break I sprained my right ankle running in the rain (not from one motion but from repetitive accommodation of slippery road), so that it hurt to just walk, and it recently recovered around Christmastime. On New Year's Eve, in an excited dance move a very large man brought his foot down on my left, and the pain I thought would wear away slid into the new year, in the form of a bulging purple fourth toe.

And so while I look forward to new things, more changes, bettering and likely lapses and more bettering, with this blog and with 2009...I also know I carry everything. They don't completely shed their old coverings but they find another kind of place, and it's all connected by synaesthesia. Someday I'd like to more subtly, accurately express this in a story.

It's near dawn now and I'm growing tired, the effects of the evening's chai tea wearing away. This time and from now on I don't have to change the date on my automatically dated post, and so here's to continuing.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the "i also know i carry everything" part. as much as i like new beginnings, i am aware that i carry everything.

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to your new home, K.

    Hug, M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my stars, you imported every entry?? I've only started new journals, then left my high school LiveJournal for (now private) high school-esque thoughts.

    Way to get through what I know must be a ponderous pile of posts! You know, Wordpress has a LiveJournal importing tool. ;)

    ReplyDelete