Saturday, January 2, 2010

in 2010...

...I will take more care.

1) Family: take care with my tone of voice when I get bothered, be more mindful of the consequences of temper, and remember that 99% of annoyances aren't worth the argument and hurt when it comes to people who love wholly.

2) Learning: ask questions, look up the answers to questions when they first come to mind, follow through with intentions, know what's going on terms of logistics, review at night important things from the day, factual and personal.

3) Writing: write more, and with more thought to what I want from it, and what I want to give with it.

4) People: offer outwardly only what I'm sure I can give, offer inwardly what I want to try to give and then try to give it, and be open.

5) Budget: keep a strict one and take care with each large expenditure. Despite living solely on personal funds since mid-college, and traveling quite a bit, my needs have been so basic that these funds have always exceeded my expenses enough that I don't give much thought to each expense. This is still the case, and carries me through the present well, but several things now make the future a consideration.

6) Belongings: be less haphazard with my possessions (computer, camera, clothing, earphones), as often reminded by my friends that I don't care much about these things. It's always been about priorities, as I can only concentrate on so many things at once and material things tend to pile up on the sidelines. New earphones from a month ago? Already broken. But I feel a general philosophy of taking care of things would be healthy, such that I get used to approaching all things with care, and when my surroundings aren't out of sorts, my mind is also less so.

7) Running: continue to do what I can, without getting caught up in rigid goals; I don't want to give this too much thought because part of its appeal is about pure motion. But with this year keep better track of what I can do and thus have a sense of what I can strive for, so that both mentally and physically I'm moving forward.

8) Eating: eat more fruits and vegetables (we tend not to buy as many since they go bad quickly and I hate grocery shopping, but the good ones are worth the extra trips), drink more water and milk.

9) Multitasking: don't disguise lack of focus as multitasking. If I multitask, do each task completely and well; if I can't do this, focus on one thing at a time.

That last one may go for all of the above, except that daily life (or any sort) doesn't quite function that way. Hence the attempt for a philosophy rather than a checklist. For the new, and the old newly experienced.

3 comments:

  1. Ahh, that last one is so true for me. I seem to lack focus in all things (except the kitchen) so I start lots of projects in quick succession to feel more productive, oy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need more kitchen time together :) And all time, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It mirrors my own intentions for the new year - being more mindful (or taking more care, as you put it) and living in abundance (emotionally, mentally, financially, etc.)

    ReplyDelete