Monday, July 25, 2011

saturday & sunday

On Saturday M and I take a short road trip to Rhode Island, the one New England state we didn't visit on our early summer road trip. Our windows are down the whole time. The drive is mostly on 95, then for awhile along a smaller road with trees whose freshness we can smell. We drive over the bridge leading to Newport. We pass by the mansions, and look for a beach with waves. After some logistical hodgepodge of parking, coins, inquiries, beach-hopping, and so on--we make it to a warm beach with some waves where M can surf and I can be a bum. The water is chocolate brown, the brown coming not from chocolate but from massive amounts of algae. It feels good to be in it; it's been so hot. M catches one very long wave which makes him happy and a good amount of other ones too, and it's nice to see him happy in this way. After he gets out of the water he sits looking at the water while I fall asleep with his hat over my face, and when I wake up we walk out onto a cliff of boulders by the sea. There's a large one with three sides from which you can climb up, so we clamber over it for awhile and this is my favorite part--the confined yet endless exploration. Then we throw the Frisbee around, to warm up to get back into the water. He wants me to get comfortable going underwater in the ocean. So we jump into waves for awhile, one hand in his to keep from dying and my other hand over my swimsuit which slips too easily. After several of these, M looks at my back and tells me we have to get out. I follow, and seconds later feel the urgency of his return to shore--the algae living in the water is host to tiny crawling worm-like bugs that bite. We spend a good twenty minutes trying to wash them out in the same water where they swarm. We find a "shower"--a two-second stream of water giving about a fourth the volume of a faucet. There's only one, so we take turns, pressing the button for second and third streams before giving it up to someone else waiting and getting back in line for more. I can't do much about the algae now growing entwined in every strand of my hair, until we're at home and I shampoo it out half a dozen times. To get there, we drive home, in the dark now, still smelling the same trees through the windows.

On Sunday we do three loads of laundry and get groceries. M has completely run out of shirts, and I've eaten my last egg and piece of bread. And our things from the beach need much cleansing. I stock up on fruits and veggies, and he buys masala sauce and naan to make our own chicken tikka masala dish. I'm glad to have the basics in abundance, and eat two peaches, handfuls of grapes, an orange and an apple. Our attempt at Indian food is good but needs more cream added to the sauce, we decide. Next time we'll buy cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment