Tuesday, April 7, 2015

clinic tidbit


Yesterday I saw for the last time the very first patient I ever saw in clinic during my residency. I don't think she likes me all that much so it wasn't a particularly poignant farewell (Me: I know you don't like seeing the doctor, but I wanted to see you once before I left. Her: Okay. You're a doctor now?). But I love that after three years, I have a panel of patients who I know well, both medically and personally.

The other day in clinic, one patient gave me a stuffed animal and a silver dollar as a farewell gift, another brought me Filipino fried treats, and another asked to take a photograph together when I told him I was leaving. While the nature of this work relies on less concrete rewards, no one is immune to enjoying feeling appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment