Tuesday, June 2, 2015

april


May flew by and forgot to post about April update on resolutions--

1. Blogging: This has been my favorite resolution because while I haven't written anything substantial, getting back into the mode of recording and reflecting has been good for me, and renewed the desire suppressed in residency to use words.

2. Recipes: The first week of April was blissful cooking, because I'd been working crazy hours for two months. I got buttermilk for some reason and made three new recipes with it: coconut buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk syrup, and homemade ranch dressing. We loved all of them, and I was impressed by how versatile cheap buttermilk is. M said it was the best syrup he'd ever had, and the pancakes were up there with our usual favorite lemon ricotta pancakes. These were a little more simple and less immediately out-of-this-world, but I loved the subtle coconut and the slightly tangy buttermilk that gave the pancakes a ton of depth.

3. Albums: On the flights to and from Amsterdam, I listened to albums that I'd listened to only passingly that I thought I would like with more time, and found that I did: City and Colour's Bring Me Your Love, St Vincent's Strange Mercy, and Cut Copy's Zonoscope. Favorite songs from each include The Girl, Cruel, and Blink and You'll Miss a Revolution. Outside of this category, I loved Passion Pit's new album. I remember first finding Passion Pit and that feeling of deep wonder that comes from unique beauty, and this album is more and more of it.

4. News: I had made a conscious resolution to get up to speed in April. Then my mom in the hospital, traveling, and recovering happened, and I got lazy. May's update will sound the same, but now I just purchased a diverse selection of subscriptions to feel like I'll actually be getting different perspectives and motivate me to be more well-informed.

5. Exercise: This resolution keeps fluctuating in terms of what I feel like doing. I don't think it's so much a resolution to keep me active since I'm pretty active, but to structure it in a way that benefits me most, because I've found that when I've had structure in the past I've been more fit with the same amount of time I spend on exercise now. But, I might've had less fun, so it's a give and take. Currently I've been focused on climbing the most, and getting better at lead climbing, so I'm happy with this goal of taking any opportunity to climb. At the same time I'd like to remember to diversify and keep myself limber.

And just like that, onto another...

No comments:

Post a Comment