Sunday, April 17, 2011

moth

In our house the kitchen is in the center. It's adjacent to the living room, where my roommate dwells most of the time along with a handful of her many friends, and with our regular visitors, our neighbor across the street and our neighbor down the street. It shares a door with my bedroom, and it provides a door to the outside as well as to my other roommate's room. I get a phone call while making dinner, so I take it in the kitchen. While listening to a friend's new findings on an old romance, I get a phone call on the other line--the neighbor across the street wants to eat his rice krispies at our place. He starts a conversation in the living room about how things have been the same over and over, each day, calling out to me sporadically for input. The kitchen door to outside swings open, and it's a friend who's been watching a movie in my other roommate's room. Pulp Fiction. My roommate says, oh I need to watch the ending of that. My friend says, oh it's at the end now. My roommate says, but I've forgotten the middle. We laugh, and my friend watching the movie goes to the bathroom, and returns, and asks everyone if they've eaten. Let's go to dinner. It's late, but we haven't eaten. I've already made food, I say. I'm still on the phone, listening to how a story we thought went one way went some other way, but at least now we know and we can leave it be. My neighbor with his rice krispies shouts about how we've been separated from our mothers, and that's all that really mattered. My hungry classmate says, let's eat. The person on the line says, What's going on, and I try to think of a description. And then I see a white flutter--a moth--fluttering outside my bedroom door--the source of the mysterious bug smell in our kitchen, which I'd discovered to be moths, but I hadn't seen one in the kitchen until now. Motion with no noise, unnoticed by anyone. And I think, that's nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment